Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy and delish way to use summer squash.
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 32 ounces yellow squash, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 2⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Slice squash about 1/4-inch thick; cook in boiling salted water until tender.
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- In bacon drippings, brown onions. Add butter, squash, eggs, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until eggs are cooked.
- In a 2-quart casserole dish, place half of the squash mixture. Sprinkle with half of the crumbled bacon and half of the shredded cheese. Top with remaining squash mixture, then bacon and cheese.
- Bake at 350° until hot and cheese is melted.
Quick, easy and delicious! Made exactly as directed. I can't wait until the farmer's market opens up because I am sure it will be even better with farm fresh squash! This will be a summer favorite (thanks to the toaster oven!) Reviewed for spring PAC 2010.