Recipe by Margie Brock
We first had this at Picadilly Cafeteria some 20 years or more ago and fell in love with it. Had to do some smooth talking to get the recipe and adapted it for home use
- 3 -4 cups yellow squash, cooked and drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Ritz crackers (rolled in zip lok bag for crumbs)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in butter.
- (You can use 2 tsp butter and enough water to sauté for a lower fat version) add squash and cook until heated through.
- Remove from heat-adding celery seed, milk, sugar, salt, eggs and half of the cracker crumbs.
- Pour into a greased casserole.
- Top with cheese and the remaining cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 375°F.