Recipe by Missy Wright
This is a dish we had for any and every special occasion when I was young. I love the original version, which I am posting here, but you can play with it and make a light version with low fat items and it is delicious as well.
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 6 -8 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package saltines, crumbled
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Saute onion in bacon grease until clear. (You can use marg. instead but bacon grease gives a good flavor)
- Layer squash, salt and pepper and mix with onions.
- Cover, cook on low to medium-low until squash are almost tender.
- Mix in cheese and 1/2 tube of cracker crumbs.
- Mix well, place in 2 quart casserole dish.
- Melt butter.
- Mix remaining crackers with melted butter.
- Top casserole with crackers.
- Cook, uncovered for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.