Recipe by vaflnc
Even people that claimed not to like squash have liked this casserole, but then my DH that if you put enough cheese on anything it becomes edible! This is true comfort food, NOT low calorie, but worth it for a splurge. The amounts are adjustable according to your taste. If you like a lot of onion, use a big one and if you love cheese use lots. The original recipe just stated to use enough crackers to make soupy, my experience was 3/4 of a sleeve of crackers worked. Zaar doesn't allow either of those so I guesstimated the 1 cup. This is one of those 'until it looks right' recipes. Hope you like!
- 40 ounces frozen yellow squash
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup saltine crackers, crumbled
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook squash according to package directions. Drain well.
- Saute onions in butter, mix with squash and put in a large casserole dish.
- Mix together eggs, milk, most of cheese (save some to sprinkle on top) and crackers. Add enough crackers so that mixture in more soupy than drippy.
- Add egg and cracker mix to squash and gently stir together.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake 370 F 1 1/2 hours or until golden brown and knife comes out clean.