Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A filling dish, made unusual by the use of cornbread and poultry seasoning. Makes me think of Thanksgiving. Vegetarian. I can easily make a meal of this. Reheats very well.
- 6 -7 medium yellow squash, cooked and drained thoroughly
- 9 pieces yellow meal cornbread (8-9 inches cold small pan)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (straight from can) or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken soup (straight from can)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- salt and pepper
- Saute onion and celery in 1/4 stick butter or margarine until soft, not brown.
- Put remaining margarine in cooked squash. Mix well.
- In large mixing bowl, combine milk and soup; add squash mixture and mix well.
- Add onion/celery mix.
- Crumble cornbread into mixture.
- Add seasonings and mix well.
- Pour into large, shallow baking dish and bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.
Just what I hoped it would be..flavorful southern food..yum! I will fix this one again and again.