Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 medium-size yellow squash
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green peppers or 1⁄4 cup green chili
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups white sauce
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento
- Boil squash.
- Saute onion and pepper in butter.
- Make white sauce and add cheese. Mix squash, onion, pepper and pimiento with cheese sauce. Put buttered cracker crumbs on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
My husband really liked this recipe, but I thought it needed some salt. The white/cheese sauce added an interesting and tasty aspect to the casserole.
The best squash casserole I've ever had! I used parmesan on top instead of cracker crumbs to keep it low carb. For those who don't know - white sauce is easy to make. For two+ cups, just melt 4 T butter, stir in 4 T flour, then slowly whisk in 2 cups milk. As you heat it, it thickens.
I had no whitwe sauce but substituted Bernaise. It had a GREAT taste. I will certainly use it again.