Recipe by KittyKitty
This has always been something I remember having all my life. Usually when I make it at home, I don't measure the ingredients, but I have tried my best to be as accurate as possible.
Top Review by CrysDanMom
My husband wanted a squash casserole like his grandmother used to make. I tried yours and it was a great success! He loved it! I'll definitely be using this recipe again. Thanks for sharing!
- 3 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 round buttery crackers, crushed (about 3/4 cup, Ritz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook squash in boiling water to cover in a large skillet 8 to 10 minutes or just until tender. Drain well; gently press between paper towels.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Remove skillet from heat; stir in sqaush, cheese, and next 4 ingredients. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter. Stir melted butter and crushed crackers, sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes until set.
- To lighten this dish, reduce your butter to 3 tablespoons, using 2 to saute onion. Sub 1/2 cup egg substitute for eggs and low fat versions of cheese, mayo and crackers.