Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
I alternate this recipe with Sweet Potato Casserole at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My guests and family love it. This recipe was taken from the The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked and mashed yellow squash (drain well)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb (I use Waverly crackers)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Combine the squash, sugar, mayonnaise, cheese, 1/2 cup of the cracker crumbs, onion and egg. Place into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs,melted buter and pecans (I place the cracker crumbs and pecans in a plastic bag and then add the melted butter- mix well.).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. 4-6.
Oh boy! Easy....delish...comforting...oh all of it! This is so good, I love, love, love this for so many reasons. I followed pretty close to the recipe, except did a couple things, used green and yellow squash, (ran out of yellow) and homemade breadcrumbs instead of the crackers, (didn't have any) but other then that, I followed exactly. For the photo, I did add some red pimento, to bring the colors higher. This is comfort food at it's finest. Love the fact it only has one egg, and really builds the love of the squash. Thanks, Nancy! :)
We loved this recipe. I followed the recipe except left out the sugar. It was great without it. I used ritz crackers to make my cracker crumbs. Tagged in For Your Consideration.
What a nice yummy dish! I think I actually left the sugar out accidently, but loved it the way it turned out. I added slightly more onion, chopped in the food processor. I used Ritz cracker crumbs. Thanks!