Recipe by DailyInspiration
I alternate this recipe with Sweet Potato Casserole at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My guests and family love it. This recipe was taken from the The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook. Enjoy!
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Oh boy! Easy....delish...comforting...oh all of it! This is so good, I love, love, love this for so many reasons. I followed pretty close to the recipe, except did a couple things, used green and yellow squash, (ran out of yellow) and homemade breadcrumbs instead of the crackers, (didn't have any) but other then that, I followed exactly. For the photo, I did add some red pimento, to bring the colors higher. This is comfort food at it's finest. Love the fact it only has one egg, and really builds the love of the squash. Thanks, Nancy! :)
- 2 cups cooked and mashed yellow squash (drain well)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb (I use Waverly crackers)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the squash, sugar, mayonnaise, cheese, 1/2 cup of the cracker crumbs, onion and egg. Place into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs,melted buter and pecans (I place the cracker crumbs and pecans in a plastic bag and then add the melted butter- mix well.).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. 4-6.