Recipe by Mary T.
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. A flavorful casserole made with mashed potatoes, bacon, squash and herbed stuffing mix. Great with fried chicken.
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 cups yellow squash (Smallest squash works best) or 3 lbs yellow squash (Smallest squash works best)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups herb stuffing mix (unprepared)
- Cook bacon according to package directions for crisp bacon in a skillet large enough to hold squash . Drain bacon on paper towel, but reserve 3 tblsp. of grease.
- Wash and dry squash and cut up into small bite size pieces.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- In a large non-stick casserole dish, press potatoes in the bottom to form first layer.
- Broil potatoes for approximately 10 minutes until potatoes become slightly brown.
- Change oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Brown squash in reserved bacon drippings with salt until slightly tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- Add squash to casserole on top of potatoes to make the second layer.
- In a bowl large enough to hold stuffing mix, crumble bacon, add stuffing bread crumbs and combine.
- Sprinkle the stuffing crumble evenly as the top layer of casserole.
- Bake loosely covered with foil for 30 minutes at 350.
- Remove cover and bake another 10 minutes at 350.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.