1 hr 15 mins
From Martha Rose Shulman
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup long grain rice or 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 lb summer squash, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces gruyere or 2 ounces parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave (or 1/2 t. dried thyme)
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1Bring 1 cup water to boil in a 1-quart lidded saucepan.
- 2Add in the rice and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- 3When the water returns to a boil, stir once and only once, turn the heat down to low, and cover the pot tightly.
- 4Simmer 15 minutes, until the water has evaporated.
- 5Turn off the heat; uncover the pot, and cover the top with a clean dish towel.
- 6Return the lid to the pot and let sit for 10 minutes undisturbed.
- 7Preheat the oven to 375°; brush a 2-quart baking or gratin dish with olive oil.
- 8Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- 9Add in the onion, stir/saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- 10Add in the squash, garlic, salt, and pepper; stir/saute 8-10 minutes, until the squash is tender but not mushy.
- 11Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- 12Beat the eggs in a bowl; stir in the squash mixture, cheese, parsley, rice, and thyme.
- 13Stir together, taste, and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- 14Transfer mixture to a baking dish; sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top and drizzle on the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 15Bake for 45 mintues or until firm and browned on the top.
- 16Cool on a rack; serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yellow Squash and Rice Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.7
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 121.4 mg
- Sodium 116.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 11.4 g