Recipe by dicentra
This is from my 365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian cookbook. Serve by itself or over cooked rice.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups yellow split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup whole roasted cashews
- hot pepper sauce, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until onions are golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in split peas, wine, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook until peas turn soft, 50-60 minutes. Stir in mustard, paprika, garlic salt and Worcestershire.
- Add cashews and cook 5 minutes. Serve hot with hot sauce on the side.