Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Pillsbury Soups and Chili, February 1998. I replaced the chorizo with vegetarian "soyrizo".
- 2 cups yellow split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 10 1⁄2 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup carrot, cut into 2-inch slices and julienned
- 6 ounces soy chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn mixed with chopped peppers (red and green)
- green onion, slices
- fresh cilantro
- roasted corn kernel
- Tip: The first time this was prepared I used fresh corn that I roasted with fresh bell peppers. Substitute roasted corn and bell peppers for the canned corn medley if you wish.
- In a 4 quart crock pot, combine all the ingredients except for the onion, garlic and corn. Stir to mix well.
- Cover crock pot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or until the split peas are tender.
- Stir in the onion, garlic and corn. Cover crock pot and cook another 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.
- Garnish each serving with the green onion, cilantro and roasted corn.