Recipe by dicentra
This is adapted from my 365 One Dish Meals cookbook. I bet it could be adapted for the crock-pot.
Top Review by katew
Great soup loved especially by my 15 year old daughter - easy to do but mine needed extra water added along the way - I always use split green peas so this was a change to use yellow - makes the colour different but taste really remains unaltered as does texture - thanks dicentra .
- 1 lb dried yellow split peas
- 1 lb baked ham, diced
- 8 cups water
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, combine dry peas, ham and water. Heat to boiling over high heat and skim off any residue that rises to the surface.
- Add chopped onions, marjoram and thyme. Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for 1 hour.
- Add carrots, celery, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat, until peas are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Discard ham bone if there is one. Serve hot.