Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Altered from a recipe I found on Instructables, I had ended up with a nice bag of yellow split peas and wanted to make an Indian-style recipe after enjoying this yellow pea dip at a local Indian joint. Very simple and tasty as both a soup and a dip!
- 1 quart water (or stock or broth of your choice, I prefer veggie)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 2 -3 garlic cloves (peeled, but can leave whole out of laziness)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (or 1 tablespoon cumin seeds)
- Rinse the split peas.
- Salt the water or broth and bring it to a boil, and add the oil and garlic.
- Mix in the split peas and spices.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and let simmer loosely covered for 35-45 minutes or until there are no more hard pieces of peas left.
- Whip up the mixture in a blender. If you want a thinner mixture, use more water. I like it thick so I use exactly one quart, don't add any water, so it doubles as a soup and as a dip or sauce for naan and dosa.