Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb dry yellow split peas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in oil and margarine until tender.
- Add broth; bring to a boil.
- Add peas; return to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice, cumin and pepper; simmer for 5 minutes.
- In small batches, puree soup in blender; return to the pan.
- Heat for 4-5 minutes, Garnish with parsley and pistachios.
I'm a vegetarian so I used veg. broth. Awesome recipe, I really enjoyed the pistachios on top of the soup. Thank you!