Recipe by mollypaul
If you can't find yellow split peas, feel free to use green ones. From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups dried yellow peas
- 2 lbs ham bone or 2 lbs smoked beef brisket
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 3 quarts water
- salt and pepper
- crouton, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak peas overnight.
- Drain, place in kettle with ham bone, garlic onion, celery and water.
- Simmer until tender, adding more water as necessary.
- Remove bone and mash peas; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with croutons or pour over rye bread toast.