Recipe by Jazmina
This smooth yellow soup is from The Greens cookbook and can be served with an optional Spiced Yogurt. The peas benefit from being soaked for 2 hours-they will break down more quickly and absorb less liquid when cooked.
Top Review by VegSocialWorker
Oh my, this was the best split pea soup I have ever had. Really. The flavors were fantastic and it is so easy to make. I accidently left out the cloves and the lemon juice and zest and it was still so full of flavor. The intense yogurt is what really makes this soup special. I used all of the optional spices and it was perfect. Thank you for posting this recipe, it will be a winter staple in this house. Also, I left out all of the butter and oil and used fat free yogurt- and you can't tell at all thanks to all of the other flavors. Yumm.
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (or 1 tbs each butter and olive oil)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced . 25 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 ground cloves
- 1 3⁄4 cups dry split yellow peas, soaked for 2 hours
- 1 celery heart, diced (two stalks)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 7 cups water or 7 cups stock
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm clarified butter or butter and olive oil in soup pot and add onion, garlic, ginger, bay leaf, and salt.
- Add in cumin and cloves and cook on medium low for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain peas and add them in along with celery carrots and the water or stock.
- Bring to a boil then simmer until the peas have fallen apart, about 45 minutes.
- Blend soup and add in more water or stock to achieve your desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and the lemon peel and juice.
- Serve soup on it's own or topped with the spiced yogurt.
- For spiced yogurt simply whisk yogurt until smooth and add in all the optional spices stirring until it's all combined.