Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy recipe for very tasty meatballs using NO breadcrumbs. As healthy as meat can be.
- 1 lb extra lean ground sirloin
- 3⁄4 cup dried yellow split peas
- 15 medium sized shallots
- olive oil
- Add water, salt, pepper, cumin, tumeric and coriander to the yellow split peas and start cooking them on the stove.
- While they are cooking, finely chop 10 of the shallots.
- When split peas are softened, drain, and smash them up with a tablespoon.
- Mix meat, shallots, split peas, spices (according to your preference on the amount of each) in a bowl with your hands.
- Pour enough olive oil just to cover the bottom of a large sauce pot adding a few more shakes of all the above spices.
- Add 3 sliced shallots to the bottom of the pan.
- Place loosely packed meatballs on top of the shallots.
- Finish by adding the remaining sliced shallots on top of the meatballs.
- Cover and cook 1 hour.
I know there are no amounts and I didn't write this review right after making it so I can't say how much I used either but I used all these ingredients (I think I replaced the shallots for regular cooking onions). It turned out so good. I added them to a tomato sauce and served it over pasta for a good meal. Would make again!