Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Food & Wine.
- 1⁄2 lb yellow split peas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 large basil leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried greek oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- toasted pita bread, triangles for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the split peas with the onion, bay leaf and 4 cups of water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over moderate heat until the split peas are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the split peas and discard the bay leaf.
- In a food processor, pulse the sun-dried tomatoes with the vinegar, garlic, shallots, basil, oregano and thyme until minced.
- Add the split peas. With the machine on, slowly pour in the 1/2 cup of olive oil and process until a smooth paste forms.
- Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the dip to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and serve with toasted pita.