Recipe by English_Rose
Rice infused with spices and coconut milk. Serve hot as an accompaniment to savoury meat or fish dishes & vegetables.
Top Review by Chef Dudo
This variation of Nasi Kuning is very nice. I would perhaps up the spices a bit since they were very subtle. I served this with a mixture of vegetables and it was a good dinner! Thanks for posting.
- 1 lb long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 shallots, sliced finely
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 kaffir lime leaves or 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the rice for 1 hour, wash and drain. Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the sliced shallots, stirring all time, for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, turmeric, coriander and cumin, stir fry for another 2 minutes and then put in the coconut milk and the other ingredients.
- Boil the mixture, uncovered, stirring it once or twice with a wooden spoon, until the liquid has been soaked up by the rice. Then cover the saucepan tightly and leave on a low heat, undisturbed, for 10 minutes, or finish cooking in the oven or microwave.
- Transfer it to a serving dish and take out and discard the cinnamon stick, cloves and kaffir lime or bay leaf.
- Serve hot as an accompaniment to savoury meat or fish dishes and vegetables.