Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Perfect as part of an Indian menu. From Madhur Jaffrey.
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash rice in several changes of water and drain. Transfer to a bowl and add enough wataer to cover generously. Leave to soak 30 minutes, then drain.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium sized saucepan with a heavy base. When oil is hot add sesame seeds and stire until golden brown.
- Add rice, turmeric and salt. Turn heat down to medium. Stir gently to saute 1 minute. Add 600 ml water and bring to a boil.
- Cover rice with a tight lid and turn heat down as low as possible. Leave to cook, undisturbed, 25 minutes. Remove lid and transfer rice to a warmed serving dish.
Great tasty rice!! Thought I had some sesame seeds... didn't... so used sunflower seeds!! Thanks Ppaperdoll! :)