Recipe by CHRISSYG
I like the freshness of the limejuice dressing on the rice. The vibrant yellow color against the dark brown of the black beans and the red from the peppers also makes for a great presentation. This can be a nice vegetarian meal, or as a side dish. This is from July 2001 Gourmet... an oldie but a goodie! It was worth keeping the whole issue just for this recipe. (servings are for a main course, this would stretch much further if used as a side dish)
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted peppers (from a jar is fine)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced chipotle chiles
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir 3 teaspoons cumin in small dry skillet set over medium heat until just fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in lime juice and oil, set aside.
- Stir turmeric and remaining cumin in heavy medium saucepan set over medium heat until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add 2 cups water, rice and salt, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Allow rice to cool and mix in green onions and half of dressing.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine black beans, all peppers, cilantro, chipotle chilies and remaining dressing in a medium sized bowl.
- Toss to coat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Presentation: Mound beans in the center of platter and surround with the rice salad.