Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Rice with Peas
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks (1 inch)
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 2 cups brown rice, pre-soaked
- 3 -4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons green peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch saffron
- Heat ghee in a skillet. Saute onion over a medium heat till golden. Reserve some of the onion for garnishing later.
- Add turmeric to the skillet. Stir and heat briefly. Add the rest of the spices in order. Mix well.
- Add the rice and stir a few times. Pour over water, stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, mix in peas and salt, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with saffron and reserved sauted onion. Serve hot.
Nice, delicately flavoured side dish. I used brown basmati rice, and about 3 cups of water. (Perhaps that is supposed to read 3-4 cups, not 3/4 cup?) I did not reserve any of the onion for garnish, and I didn't have any peas or saffron either. (that's what you get for not checking your ingredients before you start!) Left all of the seasonings whole and removed them before serving, except for the peppercorns, which I smashed with a mortar & pestle. I had never cooked rice from scratch before this(go ahead, laugh!), but this recipe was easy and produced excellent results. Will be making this again. Thanks, tonkcats!
Nicely flavored rice! I did not use the bay leaves (a personal preference). I used white rice and I ended up frying everything together (minus the water) until the rice was golden. I then added 3 1/2 cups of water and simmered it until done. Thanks for the great recipe!