Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is from 365 Low Fat Recipes. Posting for ZWT3. Middle East. Add currants and/or sliced scallions if you’d like.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Place turmeric and cumin in a medium saucepan and toss over low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add rice, 2 cups of water, cinnamon stick and salt; stir once.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 10-12 minutes, or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat. Let stand 3 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and fluff with a fork before serving.
This is a great, versatile way to dress up rice for Latin and Indian dishes. Thanks!
This a great new way to make rice, well for me anyway ;) My family enjoyed every bit of it. Made for Labor Day BBQ and it was a hit! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe. ~V
This was a terrific side dish that my whole family enjoyed. I did have to use brown rice as that was all I had on hand, but the flavours came through really well. We really liked this, thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 3