Recipe by librariangirl
The addition of chipotle chilies lends a delicious, smoky flavor to this recipe.
- 4 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes or 4 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3⁄8 lb yellow chile, seeds and stems removed
- 3 large jalapenos, seeds and stems removed (**wear rubber gloves when preparing jalapenos)
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄8 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain about half of the liquid out of each can of tomatoes. Put one can of tomatoes at a time in food processor or blender, blend 2-3 seconds. Pour into a big bowl. Repeat until all tomatoes are crushed. (Or just use crushed tomatoes).
- Process chilies, jalapenos, onions, garlic, and optional chipotle chilies in food processor until chopped. Pour into tomatoes.
- Process cilantro for 5 seconds. Add to mixture.
- Add salt, oregano, and cumin. Stir together. Chill and serve.