Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is filling and tasty without anything fancy going on. I tend to make two pans of this at once, so I have a few portions to stick in the freezer. Preparation time does not include soaking. For Food Intolerances be sure to check the ingredients on the stock cubes.
- Soak the peas overnight. Follow the directions on the packet, but if there aren't any I tend to put them in a 2.5 litre bowl filled with water.
- Finely chop the carrots and onion.
- Bring all the ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about an hour. On the stove top this can be a bit tricky, as you want it hot enough that the peas break down, but you don't want it to go dry and start burning to the bottom.
- If there are some peas that haven't broken down it's not a huge problem, the texture just isn't as nice. You can whisk it to help things along.
- The soup often tastes better if left to cool for an hour, and then re-heated. (But I can never wait and dig right in!).
- After the remaining soup has cooled it can be split into 1 pint portions and frozen in ziplock bags.
Simple & delicious. I used Maggi cubes & water since I'm apparently out of the boxed broth. Light & filling. Thank you for sharing!