Recipe by Houmous Monster
This is filling and tasty without anything fancy going on. I tend to make two pans of this at once, so I have a few portions to stick in the freezer. Preparation time does not include soaking. For Food Intolerances be sure to check the ingredients on the stock cubes.
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the peas overnight. Follow the directions on the packet, but if there aren't any I tend to put them in a 2.5 litre bowl filled with water.
- Finely chop the carrots and onion.
- Bring all the ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about an hour. On the stove top this can be a bit tricky, as you want it hot enough that the peas break down, but you don't want it to go dry and start burning to the bottom.
- If there are some peas that haven't broken down it's not a huge problem, the texture just isn't as nice. You can whisk it to help things along.
- The soup often tastes better if left to cool for an hour, and then re-heated. (But I can never wait and dig right in!).
- After the remaining soup has cooled it can be split into 1 pint portions and frozen in ziplock bags.