Recipe by sugarpea
This is a savory, fast and easy soup. Sometimes simplicity is perfection. It's from Rozanne Gold, a favorite cookbook author. Cook time includes overnight soaking of dried peas.
- 226.79 g dried yellow split peas
- 56.69 g medium-size onions, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 slice bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 709.77 ml water
- 2.46 ml salt
- garnish of finely snipped fresh sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the peas overnight in water to cover by 2".
- Next day fry bacon in a soup pot until fat begins to melt, 1-2 minutes; add the onions and saute over medium heat until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the drained peas and water and bring to a boil; cover, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 45 minutes.
- In a blender, puree 1 cup of the soup and add it back to the soup pot with the salt; simmer another 5 minutes; add more water if soup is too thick; serve with a garnish of finely snipped sage.