Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Another QETH (quick, easy, tasty and healthy) dish.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cantaloupes
- 1⁄4 watermelon
- 2 tablespoons muscatel or 2 tablespoons port wine
- mint, for serving
- In a small saucepan, place the sugar, water, lemon juice, vinegar, and ginger. Heat to a boiling, stirring well.
- Continue boiling for about 5 minutes, then strain syrup through a fine sieve or cheesecloth into a bowl.
- Meanwhile, de-seed the cantaloupes and watermelon. Using a melon baller, collect balls and place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then sprinkle on the muscatel.
- Toss gently.
- Pour syrup over melon balls and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- To serve, decorate with mint sprig.
DH and I really enjoyed this and can't wait to share it with family and friends! I made a smaller batch --for 2- so I nuked the syrup for 2 minutes instead of putting it on the stove. Served with Cumin Flatbread, carrots, and Greek Lamb Casserole. Thank you Galley Wench for posting. Made for Unrulies Under the Influence during ZWT6 --NA*ME.
I felt so fancy while eating this. It was one of those exquisite recipes,that you see being made by a fancy chef and think you'll have to pay a lot in a five star restaurant. It was simple to make and while I thought the syrup will be too sweet,it worked out just fine since the cantaloupe wasn't on the sweet side. Left the wine out for DDs,I sprinkled some red wine on mine and it was fine with or without.Made for ZWT6.
This recipe screamed: "Oooh, pick me, pick me!" ;) And I'm glad I did! Yesterday I found fresh organic yellow watermelon at the natural food store and I knew the perfect recipe would present itself. Subbed ouzo for muscatel but other than that, stayed true to the recipe. Next time I'll grab a bottle of muscatel and try it out. Thanks for posting! Reviewed for ZWT #6.