Recipe by Galley Wench
Another QETH (quick, easy, tasty and healthy) dish.
Top Review by WiGal
DH and I really enjoyed this and can't wait to share it with family and friends! I made a smaller batch --for 2- so I nuked the syrup for 2 minutes instead of putting it on the stove. Served with recipe#428681, carrots, and recipe#135214. Thank you Galley Wench for posting. Made for Unrulies Under the Influence during ZWT6 --NA*ME.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cantaloupes
- 1⁄4 watermelon
- 2 tablespoons muscatel or 2 tablespoons port wine
- mint, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, place the sugar, water, lemon juice, vinegar, and ginger. Heat to a boiling, stirring well.
- Continue boiling for about 5 minutes, then strain syrup through a fine sieve or cheesecloth into a bowl.
- Meanwhile, de-seed the cantaloupes and watermelon. Using a melon baller, collect balls and place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then sprinkle on the muscatel.
- Toss gently.
- Pour syrup over melon balls and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- To serve, decorate with mint sprig.