Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
You can omit the bacon and sauté the vegetables in oil to make this a vegetarian meal.
- 6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups yellow lentils
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- fresh ground pepper
- In a 4 quart dutch oven sauté bacon until crisp, remove to drain on paper towels with a slotted spoon.
- Add onions to drippings, cook 5 minutes until softened.
- Add carrots, celery, peppers, garlic, and sauté 5-10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves, sprinkle with bacon, serve.
This is good .. The only thing I added was some salt, and I puréed the soup .. thanks!
Yellow lentils make this soup very creamy and soft textured, especially after I whizzed it slightly with my hand blender. We enjoyed this recipe as a vegetarian soup made without the bacon, and garnished it with a dollop of sour cream and a few dashes of Challula Hot Sauce. Chia, I knew this soup would be as reliably tasty as are your other recipes!
Excellent lentil soup made so sweet by all those carrots. This one's a keeper, chia.