Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This soup smells so good while cooking. It tastes even better the next day.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cup dried yellow lentils (yellow moong dal)
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups water
- 2 chicken stock cubes or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 pinch ground red chili pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add freshgarlic, ginger and onion.
- Saute until the onion is tender and the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Add curry powder, ground cumin, ground ginger, chili pepper and mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a simmer(about medium heat), and let cook uncovered for about 15 minutes,stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover with lid,turn the heat to low, and let cook until lentils are tender (approx 15 minutes more).
- Serve hot.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable bouillon cubes .
Sorry, but this was very dissapointing. I followed directions as written, but soup was very watery and very bland. [Editor's Note: recipe updated as a result of this review 4/16/03]
I made the corrected version of this recipe and it was truly delicious. The rich flavors of the curry, ginger, and cumin really enhanced the light flavor of the lentils. Quick to prepare - this soup was filling and tasty. Thank you!