Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I made this for lunch today--delicious! From Food and Wine.
- 1 cup split yellow lentils (toor dal)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small serrano chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cooked basmati rice
- In a saucepan add lentils and chicken stock, ginger and turmeric.
- Bring to boil cover partially and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat until lentils are tender.
- Puree 1 c of lentils in a blender, add back to pan and cook 15 minutes more.
- In a skillet heat oil.
- Add mustard seed and shake pan until they start to pop, 20 seconds.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, 5- minutes.
- Add serrano chile, and garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Add cumin and bay leaves, and tomato, cook minutes more.
- Stir this mixture into the lentils, add lemon juice and salt to taste, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over basmati rice.
I enjoyed this a lot. I too used spicy salsa instead of our winter tomatoes. I thought the 2 tablespoons of ginger would be overpowering but I was wrong. I dry cooked the mustard seeds till they popped. And pureed the whole mixture when done. I forgot the lemon didn`t need it. Thanks for a great recipe!
I like the flavor of this dish. I did make a few changes. I used veg. chicken flavored broth to cook the lentils in, left out the serrano chili, instead of the tomato I added a tbls. of hot salsa. All in all, this turned out great! Oh, I cooked buffalo wings for my husband and added a little of the sauce to the lentils. Yum- thanks chia!
Very bland,and had a bitter taste. Sorry won't use this recipe again.