1 hr 30 mins
recipeZarr Addict's Note:
This recipe is the basis for many of the layer cake . By beating the egg whites separately, then folding them into the batter, you get a very light and flavorful cake Yellow cake batter used for making a layered caked. good consistency for birthday cake, wedding cakes, shower cakes..moist yet thick enough to put on top of each other for a Tiered effect.
My Private Note
Nine in ...
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 22. Grease and flour or line two 9-inch round cake pans ( or 1 10-inch round 3-inch deep) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- 33. In an electric mixer with wire whisk attachment, beat egg whites until soft peaks. Set aside.
- 44. In an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter. Gradually add sugar and beat until light in color. Add vanilla. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after adding each one.
- 55. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the milk. Begin and end with the flour mixture. Mix until batter is smooth.
- 66. Carefully fold the egg whites into the flour mixture.
- 77. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 25-30 mins (55-60 if using 10-inch pan) or until a tester comes out with a fine crumb. Remove pans from oven and place on a wire cooling rack. Cool cakes in pans for 5-10 minutes. Carefully remove cakes from the pans & continue to cool on wire racks. Remove and discard parchment paper before decorating.
- 88. When cool, frost as desired or wrap in foil then plastic wrap for up to two months.
- 9YIELD: TWO 9-INCH ROUND LAYERS OR ONE 10-INCH 3-INCH DEEP ROUND LAYER OR 24 CUPCAKES.
- 11Cake Flour Substitute: 2 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour minus 5 Tablespoons, and Sifted [2 ½ C – 5 TBSP].
- 12Butter Substitutes: 1 Cup Shortening Plus 2 Tablespoons Water [1 C + 2 TBSP].
- 13OR 1 Cup Applesauce or Fruit Puree.
- 14OR ¾ Cup Olive or Vegetable Oil.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yellow Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.3
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 171.0 mg
- Sodium 377.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 50.3 g
- Protein 7.9 g