Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This one dish meal is a hearty, no-fuss dinner, just add chopped veggies and your choice of protein into a pot and let it simmer in broth. It goes great topped with fresh parsley and plain yogurt. Make it vegetarian with tofu and vegetable broth. You can use mild or spicy curry powder, depending on how you like it.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 chicken breast, diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in water
- Add oil to a large sauté pan over medium high heat. When hot, add onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic, mango and chicken. Let sit in the pan for minute, the less agitation at the beginning of a sauté the better--too much stirring causes the moisture to run out, then your veggies will steam instead of caramelize.
- After a minute or two stir to get even cooking and sauté until browning develops. Then add curry powder and stir to coat.
- Add the stock and bring to boil. Cover and turn heat to low. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Uncover and add cornstarch solution. If you don't have cornstarch, add a couple of tablespoons of flour in when you add the curry and stir until it absorbs some of the oil and that will thicken the sauce as well.
- Serve over basmati rice and top with your choice of garnish. Mango Chutney, Plain Yogurt, Sour Cream and fresh herbs are all good garnishes.