Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Colorful and zesty! I switched yellow grapefruit for pink. Pomelos are a good substitute, too! Prepare the salad dressing at least an hour in advance to allow the ingredients to marinate. From Bon Appetit November 1997.
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon freshly ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large yellow grapefruits, peeled, pith removed (pink grapefruit or pomelo can be substituted)
- 1⁄2 lb fennel bulb, cut very thinly into slices
- 2 large avocados, each cut in half, pitted, peeled, cut into thin slices
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup romaine lettuce
- Prepare dressing by combining ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to marinate.
- Cut the grapefruit up into bite-size segments and remove seeds. In a bowl, gently toss the arugula and romaine lettuce together.
- After cutting up the avocado, drizzle the slices with orange or lemon juice to halt browning.
- On individual salad plates, divide the greens.
- Arrange the grapefruit segments, avocado and fennel slices equally among each salad plate.
- Lightly drizzle each serving with salad dressing. Garnish with a little bit of freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve the remaining salad dressing on the side.
This is a fabulously delicious salad! I used one red and one yellow grapefruit and interspersed slices of fruit with slices of avocado. I couldn't resist a little sprinkling of black and white sesame seeds. This salad is a treat visually and taste-wise. Thanks, CG!!!!!!