Recipe by tigerduck
I love making my own curry pastes for my favourite Thai curries. Yellow Curry Paste is milder than Red or Green Curry Paste because it contains less chillies. Curry powder and turmeric make the paste yellow. Different to the Red and Green Curry Paste it also contains cinnamon but no coriander roots. This paste keeps for two weeks in the fridge but it also freezes well. Just wrap some of the paste (say 2-3 tablespoons) in tinfoil, label, and freeze. This way, you will always have curry paste and it can even be used frozen (well, that's at least what I sometimes do). The recipe comes from Madhur Jaffreys Ultimate Curry Bible and she got it from the Grand Hyatt Erawan in Bangkok. This paste is enough for two dishes of pork, beef, chicken, prawns, squid, fish, crabs, lobster meat or hard-boiled eggs. For a Red Curry Paste see Red Curry Paste.
Top Review by WiGal
Very good! I used this to make a sweet potato curry. Next time I would cut the chili peppers right into the blender jar-save me washing one dish. LOL! I would also soak the lemongrass powder with the chili peppers. I subbed in 1 tablespoon of dried lemongrass powder. Next time I might double the cinnamon. Thank you tigerduck for sharing. Also, thank you for the freezing suggestion.
- 7 dried hot red chilies (long ones of the cayenne variety)
- 5 ounces shallots, chopped (140g)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemongrass, that has been thinly sliced crossways
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped (10 if small or 5 if large)
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped (2 1/2cm)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shrimp paste, chopped or 3 anchovies, from a can chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the red chillies in 5 tablespoons hot water for 1-2 hours. (You could also put them in a microwave oven for 2-3 minutes and then let them sit for 20-30 minutes.)
- Put the chillies, together with their soaking liquid, into a blender along with all the remaining ingredients in the order listed.
- Blend, pushing down with a rubber spatula as many times as necessary, until you have a smooth paste.
- What you do not use immediately should be refrigerated or frozen.