Recipe by ChezNicolette
This is a recipe given to me from one of my friends from Thailand. It has always been a favorite of everyone who has tried it.
Top Review by Deantini
O-M-G!!!!! This curry is incredibly tasty, yummy and delicious! I halved the recipe with no trouble, used onions, mushrooms and green onions for the veggies, added extra carrots and peas. I also used 50% coconut milk / 50% chicken stock the regular stock addition to lighten the dish up a bit. Even with the reduced coconut milk it still had incredible flavour. I served it over basmati rice. It is real pretty, too! This is definitely a keeper recipe that I will come back to; thanks for sharing!!
- 1 lb about 4 boneless chicken breast half
- 2 -3 cups assorted fresh vegetables (mushrooms, aparagus, onions, zucchini)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces, pre-cooked
- 2 carrots, cut into bite size pieces, pre-cooked
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil (can be canola or olive)
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder (use less to not make it not as spicy)
- 1⁄2 cup water (I just use a whole can of chicken broth) or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (I just use a whole can of chicken broth)
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-cook the potatoes and carrots. Don’t cook them too done, since they will simmer with the main dish later.
- Cut boneless, skinless chicken breast into bite-size pieces. Wash and cut vegetables into bite size pieces.
- In heavy sauce pan on medium heat, heat vegetables, oil, red curry paste, and 1/3 of the coconut milk. Heat 5 – 10 minutes, stirring, until it forms a thin gravy. (I used cut mushrooms and yellow onion).
- Turn the heat to high, add the chicken and cook until the chicken is half cooked, maybe 5 minutes.
- Add fish sauce, sugar, salt, and the rest of the coconut milk, and mix well. Stir in the curry powder, potatoes, carrots, and water/stock. If desired add bay leaf. Let it simmer 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add frozen peas (I put in spinach instead) and let it simmer until all vegetables and chicken are cooked. About 5 – 7 more minutes.
- Serve with rice (Basmati or Jasmine is best).
- **you can find most of the groceries at your local Asian grocery store, or the international isle of a major supermarket.