Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2006. This is an African rice recipe. If you want, you can add 1/2 cup grated coconut to give it a stronger coconut flavor.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In saucepan add coconut milk, and milk. Bring to boil.
- Add rice, salt, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom (if using).
- Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter.
Loved this rice. We eat a LOT of rice andthis was an easy and delicious new way of preparing it. Perfect for the spicy "Beef Satays With Macadamia Nut Dipping Sauce" dish that I made to go with this. Thanks so much for the recipe. Although the review is late I made this for ZWT4 while travelling the world with my Babes.
Very easy to put together and very creamy and tasty. I used reduced fat coconut milk and low fat margarine so that I could justify allowing myself this treat and even so it turned out very well. We had this with a South American black bean dish and it tasted great wrapped up with the beans in a tortilla. Made for ZWT4.
A wonderful tasting rice, that pretty much goes so well with anything and everything the use of the coconut milk, along with the turmeric, cinnamon cloves, and cardamom really make this rice stand out. I cut down on the milk and the coconut milk as we only made two servings. This even reheated so nicely I will be making this again. Thank you Annisette! Made for *ZWT4* June 2008.