Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Something a little different than regular plain rice.
- 1 3⁄4 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- Soak the rice in a large bowl of cold water for 30 minutes.
- Pour the rice into a strainer and rinse under cold running water to remove all excess starch. Rinse until the water runs through the rice clear.
- Place all ingredients into a large heavy based saucepan. Cover with the lid and bring to the boil. Stir occassionally.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer. Keep the saucepan covered and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- REmove from the heat and keep covered. Stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
This was a lovely rice Jubes. It was soft mellow and perfectly cooked. The perfect pairing for our red curried beef. The curry was hot and spicy while the rice was soft and subtle in flavor. They blended beautifully. Thanks for sharing your tasty recipe.
Delicious and the perfect pairing with this: Kieran's Fave Chicken and accompanied by fresh steamed veggies: broccoli, corn and green beans. I used jasmine rice, fresh turmeric and doubled the amount of sugar (coconut sugar and not standard). I also used coconut milk in place of coconut cream. I will make this again and many times! Prepared for ZWT9. Thank you!
I think that the recipe worked exactly as it is supposed to. DH enjoyed it more than I did. It was just sweeter than I had hoped. I like sweet rice as a rice pudding but not so much on a dinner plate (personal taste only). As I said DH loved it. It sure is a gorgeous yellow.