Recipe by startnover
We have a Thai restaurant in town that makes the best yellow curry. I found they buy their curry paste at a local Asian market and that was the key to this recipe. A lot of curries have potatoes in them and you can certainly add it to this one but I prefer it with out. I serve with Naan flat bread to scoop it up with.
Top Review by cookingpenguin89
To the person who is timid about the pineapple, the best yellow curries I have eaten have all had pineapple I promise it adds a balancing sweetness that complements the mixture of flavors I also slice onions and put them in at the same time as the carrots.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons yellow curry paste (you will need to add this a teaspoon at a time till you get the flavor you'd like. For mild use only)
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot (drained)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup pineapple (drained, I like more)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot (I leave these out, personal pref)
- 1 cup water
- 5 -8 basil leaves
- chopped cashews (to garnish)
- 4 -6 cups steamed jasmine rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stir fry pan mix 1 can coconut milk and the amount of curry you desire (start w/ half if you are unsure).
- Then add other can of milk and heat till boiling.
- Add the meat and continue to cook.
- When the meat is about 1/2 way done add the carrots and water and cook till carrots are tender.
- Add basil, pineapple, peas, and bamboo shoots and cook 2 more minutes.
- Serve over rice, and garnish with chopped cashews if you desire.