Recipe by Lucky in Bayview
This is an OH SO GOOD recipe that I got off the Rachael Ray website. I saw her making the recipe on tv and knew I had to try it that day. I'm so glad I did. It's so delicious and easy. The recipe calls for bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs or breasts. I was trying to cut back on calories and used skinless chicken thighs and breast and thought it came out great. Hope you like it too.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread (about 2 pinches)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs or 4 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup broken spaghetti (a couple handfuls)
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place medium-size pot over medium heat with the saffron and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and keep warm.
- Place a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and cook in the pan unitl golden brown, about 4 to 5 mins per side. Remove the chicken to a plate and reserve, covered with foil.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the pan. Add the broken pasta to the pan and cook until toasted and golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan, tossing to coat in the butter, along with onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, unitl onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf, cinnamon, tumeric, saffron-infused stock and reserved chicken to the pan. Bring the liquid up to a bubble, cover the pan, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked throughand the rice is tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Stir in peas and parsley, remove and discard bay leaf and serve.