Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the recipe that I use for a basic easy cake. It's from Better Homes Cook book and I don't want to lose it so I am posting it here. This is the cake that started me baking from scratch and not using boxed mixes from the store. If you use all of the sugar then it's still real good without icing. I usually just use 1 1/2 cups of sugar and it work just fine.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla (I use 2 teaspoons)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt: set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined. Beat for 2 minutes more after all sugar is inches.
- Add eggs 1 at a time beating after each egg for one minute.
- Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Bake at 375°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes for 9 inch pans 30 to 35 minutes for 8 inch pans, 25 to 30 minutes for 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Use your toothpick to check if it comes out clean.
I made this recipe on 12/08/09 for the " Let's P-A-R-T-Y " event in Cooking Games forum.The recipe was followed as it was written. I've made several cakes in my life, but something with this recipe didn't turn out like it should have. The texture was very dense, and the flavor was just o.k.. I wish I could have given it more than 3 stars.:( . Thanks for posting.
this is the best cake recipe ive ever used! I made cupcakes instead of cake and ued crisco instead of butter!
This recipe is in my cookbook and I bake this cake for every one of my kids' birthday parties. It comes out perfect every time and I get rave reviews. I use 1/4 c smart balance buttery spread and 1/2 c apple sauce. I use less sugar because of the sweetness of the apple sauce. I make whipped cream for the topping and it tastes very light and VERY GOOD!