Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
As usual, I use whole wheat flour, but all-purpose will work just as well. For a heart-healthier, though not really yellow, version use 3 T egg whites instead of the whole egg.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup egg white, plus
- 2 tablespoons egg whites, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F Grease & flour two 9” cake pans.
- Sift together flour, baking powder & salt. Set aside.
- With electric mixer on medium, cream together shortening & sugar, beating for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add egg & egg whites, beating well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately w/ milk, vanilla, & almond extract. Pour into cake pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes; Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to finish cooling.
- Frost with favorite icing (I suggest milk chocolate!).