Recipe by JanetSmith154
THE Quintessential Yellow Cake
Top Review by Paul S.
I made this with Trader Joe's gluten free flour blend with a scant tsp of xanthan gum to replace the cake flour. I also replaced the milk with homemade milk kefir (you could also use buttermilk). Everyone absolutely loved how the cake came out. I baked it in a 9x13 and had to give it a few more minutes, but I think next time I'll let the middle stay a little undercooked so it's a bit more moist. The texture was still awesome and the flavor was perfect. I topped it with buttercream frosting for my son's birthday. Now everyone is asking for the recipe! I would also use Bob's Redmill 1 for 1 gluten free flour instead if I have access to it next time, that typically comes out very well in recipes using regular flour.
- 3 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°, prepare 2 8-in round cake pans or 1 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Sift dry cake ingredients; set aside.
- Add vanilla to the measured milk.
- Using an electric mixer, whip butter for 2 minutes, and then add sugar and beat 5 minutes.
- Add egg yolks, and combine – then add eggs 1 at a time thoroughly combining after each addition.
- Beginning and ending with flour, alternate adding the flour and milk to the mixing bowl.
- Combine and make sure sides of bowl are scraped down.
- Pour into prepared pan(s). For round pans, bake 25-30 minutes and for 9 x 13 bake 35 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.