Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This beautiful and delicious soup makes an impressive first course for an elegant dinner. Try other colors of peppers for a different color soup: red, orange and green. It is easy enough for a week day lunch, especially good cold on a hot summer day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 medium sweet yellow bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large mild onion, chopped
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- sour cream (optional) or plain yogurt (optional)
- snipped chives (optional)
- Heat oil and butter in a Dutch oven; sauté the peppers, onion, potato and garlic for about five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Cool slightly; puree in batches in blender.
- Return to pan.
- Stir in buttermilk, heat through.
- Serve hot or cold; garnish with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and a pinch of chives, if desired.