Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 28 hrs
I don't remember where I found this recipe (somewhere on a food blog), but it's delicious!
Make and share this Yeasted Bakery-Style Sweet Buns recipe from Food.com.
For the dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups bread flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch sugar (for egg wash)
For the Butter Crumb Topping
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixer bowl, hand-whisk water and yeast together and let stand 2 to 3 minutes to dissolve yeast. Briskly whisk in vanilla, sugar, eggs, softened butter, and salt and blend well. Add 3 to 4 cups bread flour and mix. Then knead with dough hook on lowest speed of mixer 6 to 8 minutes, adding more bread flour as necessary to form a soft, bouncy dough. (If you don’t have a stand mixer simply add flour until the dough is too stiff to stir by hand, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 8 minutes, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. Your dough is ready when it’s smooth, soft and bounces back when you press your thumb into it.).
- Remove dough hook and spray dough with nonstick cooking spray. Cover entire mixer and bowl with a large clear plastic bag (I used saran wrap to very loosely cover the bowl). Let dough rise 30 to 60 minutes or until almost doubled.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and gently deflate. Cut dough into 12 equal portions. Shape each into a small round roll or bun. Place about 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Whisk 2 eggs and a pinch of sugar together in a small bowl. Brush each bun well with egg wash.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For butter crumb topping, in a small bowl, rub ingredients together to form a crumbly mixture. Distribute carefully on top of each bun. Cover buns loosely with plastic wrap and let rise about 30 to 45 minutes or until quite puffy and almost doubled.
- Bake for 28 to 35 minutes or until browned all over.