Prep 8 hrs
Cook 1 hr
I submitted this recipe in answer to a request. I have not tried it. It is from "A World of Breads" by Dolores Casella
- Cut the flour, butter, and salt together as for pastry.
- Have the sour cream and egg yolks at room temperature.
- Dissolve the yeast in the sour cream and add to the flour-butter mixture along with the egg yolks.
- Stir all together and knead with the hands until mixture is smooth.
- Brush the dough with butter and chill for 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to use, place the dough on a lightly floured board, pat it down, and then turn it over so that both sides are floured.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough as thin as possible.
- It will make a long, very thin sheet of dough which may be cut in two to make two Strudels.
- Spread dough with filling, keeping filling short of the edges.
- Fold sides of dough over the filling, then roll the dough carefully and seal the edges so that the filling does not seep out.
- Lift the roll carefully and place in a buttered shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, or until browned and done.