Recipe by JacquelineS
Savory yeast flat bread
Top Review by Greenbriar5
Wonderful! I used regular whole wheat flour instead of chapati flour and left out the kalonji seeds (I did not even know what they were!). I used my automatic bread machine to mix and rise the dough. I suggest you keep an eye on the dough if you do this--I used 1.5 cups of water and it was way too much! After some adjustments in the flour, all was well. They puffed up nicely when fried. I took them to a local Indian function and all were eaten right away!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chapati flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 -5 tablespoons ghee
- 2 teaspoons kalonji, seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups warm water
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar, 1 1/2 c warm water, and yeast.
- Leave aside.
- Mix dry ingredients plus ghee and add sugar/yeast mixture.
- Knead 5-10 minutes into a semi-soft dough.
- Cover and keep warm until double in size.
- Divide into 18-20 and roll into rounds, or roll the whole piece of dough flat and cut out with a biscuit cutter.
- Deep fry until golden brown on both sides, turn if necessary.