Bridget Cloud's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 1/4 cup water (105-115 degrees)
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- canola oil
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2 1/2-quart bowl.
- 2Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 2 cups flour.
- 3Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- 4Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 5Stir in remaining flour until smooth.
- 6Cover and let rise until double, 50-60 minutes.
- 7Dough is ready when indentation remains when touched. Turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour.
- 8Gently roll dough 1/2-inch thick with floured rolling pin.
- 9Cut with floured doughnut cutter.
- 10Cover and let rise until double, 30-40 minutes.
- 11Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350°.
- 12Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula.
- 13Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface.
- 14Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- 15Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surface); drain.
- 16Dip the doughnuts into creamy glaze set on rack then when slightly cooled spread chocolate frosting on top.
- 17Dip in sprinkles or other toppings after chocolate if desired.
- 18Creamy Glaze: Heat butter until melted.
- 19Remove from heat.
- 20Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- 21Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
- 22Chocolate Frosting: Heat butter and chocolate over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
- 23Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- 24Stir in water 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yeast Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 606.9
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 64.5 mg
- Sodium 321.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 52.6 g
- Protein 8.7 g